Show your love! Share this page!
By local printer, we understand a printer connected to a local PC. When there are multiple computers in a network that require to access printer, we can share the printer so that each of those computers can send their documents to get printed.
To share local printer all we need to do is enable sharing for that printer and install it in client computers. Both the parts are truly easy and quick to perform.
To enable sharing,
- Go to Devices and Printers in Control Panel
- Open the Printer Properties dialog box
- In the Sharing tab of Printer Properties dialog box mark the checkbox labelled 'Share this printer'
- If you wish rename the Printer. It is the name with what the printer is identified in network.
- Click OK to apply settings.
To access network printer from client computers,
- Access the computer in which the printer is connected. You can enter the IP Address or Computer Name in the address bar of explorer window or Run dialog box.
- You'll see the shared printer name in the window. Double click the printer icon.
- It will confirm you to install required drivers. Click Yes.
- When done you'll see the Spooler window opened. Now you can send print to the printer from that client PC.
Apart from the local printer, you can share a printer in the network through Print Server too! For that you require a small device called Print Server. The advantage is that you don't need to leave the PC turned on to allow network computers to access the printer.