Typing is a skill and it's never possible to achieve good speed and accuracy overnight, however here are some tips for you to consider so that you can learn good typing speed quicker.
Typing whether in English or Devanagari requires similar practice and way of practicing. So whatever I mention in this article, you can follow the same for Devanagari typing too!
Tips to increase Typing Speed -
Tips for Beginners
- Proper Posture - make sure you are sitting comfortably and placed hands in ease.
- Place correct fingers - Beginners are tempted to use nearby fingers but it is very important to use correct finger for every keys. You may think right index finger is fine for the key 'T', similarly many develop habit to press Enter, Backspace keys with right index finger which are wrong. Look at following image to learn which finger types which key
- Practice Characters - type same character repeatedly. While doing so make sure you place your fingers in home row and return there every time you type a character. This way your fingers will get trained about the distance between it's home key and the key it needs to type.
- Don't look at keyboard nor screen - It's possible. Definitely! But if you don't grow typing without looking on screen or keyboard, it will be very hard later on to increase typing speed. Make sure you don't look at keyboard or screen while you are typing.
- Type words and phrases repeatedly - Pick a few words or phrases and repeat typing them for many times.
- The Quick Brown Fox - Type the sentence "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog" repeatedly. What's special about this sentence? Well, did you notice, this sentence contains all the characters!
- क ख ग घ & क का कि की - When you're practicing Devanagari typing repeat typing all alphabets क ख ग घ up to ज्ञ. Also you should practice typing क का कि की upto ज्ञं ज्ञः When you are efficient with these, proceed to type words.
- Make Use of Online Tools - You can increase typing speed by practicing everyday regularly or joining some typing training classes, but there are some wonderful online tools to help you practice and analyze your performance.
- QWERTY Warriors – A typing game to improve your typing speed and accuracy by demolishing oncoming attacks by words!
- Sense-Lang Typing resources – The best resource for free typing tutorials, games, tests, certifications and much more.
- Typing Test – Check your typing speed and accuracy with this free complete typing test.
- Typing.com – Another free typing resource to work on your typing right from a beginner to advanced level.
Tips for intermediate users
Well, if you know how to type and still wish to increase typing speed, here are some tips for you too!
- Set Your Timer - Set alarm for 10 minutes or 15 minutes in your timer and start typing. Focus more on accuracy.
- Maintain the Rhythm - While you type try to type in a rhythm - the same speed for all the characters and words. Typing very fast for some words pausing in between stops you from achieving good WPM.
- Take rest after each session - Continually typing may stress your hands and fingers. Take sufficient rest in between your typing sessions.
- Calculate and analyze your performance - After you take a practice session, read the text you type and mark all the words you made mistake at. Note down the words that were mistaken. Count the correct words and calculate your WPM.
- Practice Mistaken Words - On the second session, type the mistaken words only repeatedly, each in turn. You can type each word for about 15 to 20 times depending on how well you can type the word now.
- Accuracy is more precious - Whenever you type focus on accuracy. No matter how fast you type, if they are not correct, there's no use. Accuracy is more precious!
Tips for Advanced users
Those who know how to type and achieved moderate typing speed can follow following tips to further increase typing speed with accuracy:
- Practice Typing in Odd Postures - Once you achieve moderate typing speed you can practice typing in odd postures. Type standing, type placing keyboard in a bit higher or lower table positions. This trains your finger movement to get the right keys even in variations.
- Practice placing keyboard in odd position - Place keyboard a bit left than your normal front position and take one session of typing practice. Similarly, place the keyboard a bit right than your normal position and practice yet another session. This will train your fingers to get the keys even when your typing angle changes.
- Change keyboard - If you are using same keyboard, you may find it hard to come up to your typing speed whenever you need to type in another keyboard. Try practicing with different keyboards. Some keyboards are bit smaller than others. Make yourself comfortable with larger as well as smaller keyboards.
- Rhythm! Rhythm!! Rhythm!!! - You'll notice your speed and accuracy increases dramatically as you grow typing in a rhythm. Try to spend equal time to type every keys, be that a character, punctuation or space.
Tips for Typing Test of PSC Candidates
Well, ready for the typing test of PSC examination? Great! Here are some tips about how to act in exam hall.
- Keep your hands inside pockets - Practical exams are scheduled for early morning isn't it? Moreover this is the winter season. On top of that, the typing test is conducted first before practical exam. So, keep your hands inside pockets or make sure your hands are warm enough to demonstrate performance.
- Check keyboard layout - Before test begin, check and make sure the keyboard is typing correctly. There are many notorious candidates who alter the settings and some are even teaching evil methods to change keyboard layout so that succeeding candidates can't perform up to the mark. This will produce different text than you really typed. If found any unusual with keyboard, report to the invigilator before the test begin.
- Typing Nepali in Unicode or Non-Unicode? - You are allowed to take test in Unicode system or in Preeti font. If you choose to use Unicode, check the provided computer is equipped with Unicode and inform invigilator about the it.
- AutoCorrect & AutoFormat - If you are not taking test in Unicode, then it is better to turn off AutoCorrect and AutoFormat options before the Nepali Typing test begin. Because the test is given in MS Word, AutoCorrect and AutoFormat may trouble you.
- Copying a couple of beginning sentences - If the given text is not large enough for your typing speed, you are asked to repeat typing the same text. If this is the situation you can type a couple of lines then press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Right Arrow quickly so that nobody notices your gentle cheating. When you finish typing given text you can press Ctrl+V to get unfair advantage 😀
- Skipping is smartness - Especially while typing Nepali text, if there's a word really long and complicated, it is better to skip that word and go on with the rest. You get marks for typed correct words and not for typing all the words. However make skipping natural. Skipping too many may raise alert! :O
Hope this helps you to prepare for your typing test. Expecting your comments below. Don't forget to share this post in Facebook, Twitter, Google+ if you find it useful. Your shares encourage me to write more!